Friday, August 13, 2004

WEEK SEVEN OF FRIENDS OF FRIDAY FORUM

Hello to the Friday Friends! This week I am feeling all antsy and excited and squishy, hehe. And yes its because of the PEARL JAM "Vote For Change" concert tour and pre-sale ticket info and all that good stuff. So that's really all that's on my plate this week, well actually I have started a petition around my small town to try and get our ONE phone company and ONE cable company that we have to give us some high speed dial up. This dial-up business is slowly driving me mad! So I am quite happy about that, and the township board is backing the petition as well. I do have quite a few signatures already and lots of friends helping as well, which is cool! I can't believe all the unhappy people in this town that I have talked to. It makes me very glad I started all this, and to realize that I'm not the only computer geek unhappy in this town with our NON-CHOICES! I will keep ya's posted on the petition! I hope everyone is doing good and Peace to all!!! Kim [Michigan]

QUOTE OF THE WEEK ... The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Thomas Jefferson

FAIR & BALANCED? Last week I saw the new documentary OUTFOXED. I can't say I watch Fox news regularly. I do put it on from time to time so I can get an objective view of what's out there. My own impression of the network is basically that of which I have for entertainment shows like Extra and Entertainment Tonight. They're all about ratings and shock value, you never feel like you're getting the full story. I can't stomach some of their news casters like Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannerty (sp); I find it really disgusting that they call themselves journalists. I would have no problem with them if the people they interviewed actually had a chance to speak or share their views, but they aren't, they are censored, told to shut up and in some cases their dialogue is edited out completely from the broadcast. Right wing viewers might say that Outfoxed is just edited and sensationalized to make Fox look worse than it is. I wonder if that's possible. Sure they may have edited it to get their point across, but they do it with something the Fox news network rarely does...it uses facts. Some points in the movie that nobody can contest are that Robert Murdock owns and controls a number of stations and is a contributor of the US Republican Party. Is this not a clear case of conflict of interest? Unfortunately nowadays you can't trust even the people who who were trained to report the news objectively. One clear message I got this from this movie is that we have the power to stop these people; we just have to get off our asses and do it. Josee [Gatineau, Quebec]